Why is the Google Webmaster Tool so Important for any website?
Google Webmaster Tool(GWT) now known as Google Search Console is a free service created by Google for all website owners.
Google Webmaster Tool allows you to:
- Monitor your site’s position
- Crawl your website
- Recognize issues and errors
- Tells you what you need to index and what you don’t
- See the search inquiries that brought traffic to your site
- Screen back links and a lot more
It is one of the most important tools used by website developers and bloggers.
The top reasons you need to use the Google Webmaster Tool are:
1. Get notified by Google if there is a problem with your site
Google will send you messages if, for example, your back link profile looks spammy. It will tell you if your site is using an old version of WordPress, etc.
They will also notify you if they detect malware on your website.
2. Discover any HTML problems with your site
You can follow the suggestions and instructions that Google Webmaster gives you to resolve the issue(s).
3. Submit and check your sitemap (which can speed up indexing of your website)
It will let you know about your site map and will check it for any issues.
4. Select a geographic target audience
For example, if your website targets UK customers, but your site uses a .com extension. Google Webmaster Tool tells Google that you want your site to be given more consideration in the UK.
5. Shows you how well your site is being indexed by Google and Identify Crawl Errors
Google will tell you the URLs that it had trouble crawling, and the page which linked to that URL. This will allow you to quickly identify and fix broken links on your site.
6. Get a complete list of all links that point to your website (at least the ones that Google knows about)
This can be very useful, especially in identifying links from spammy sites, which you can then disavow with the Google Disavow tool. GWT tells Google to remove specific URLs from their search results.
7. Identify keywords that people are using to find your site
Google shows you the number of impressions in the search engines, how many clicks you got, the click through rate (CTR), and average position in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages).
The CTR can be very useful for finding pages that may need their title/description tweaked so as to improve the CTR. GWT offers a useful set of tools for all webmasters.
8. We highly recommend you sign up and add your website(s) to your Google Webmaster account, so you can track them all
Sign up here: https://search.google.com/search-console/about